Nami Island, with a concept of “Fairy Tale Village and Song Village,” provides various cultural events, concerts, exhibitions and more to give children dreams and hopes, couples love and memories, and artists a space for creativity. Main facilities include Song Museum, Picture Book Playground, Whatever Center, Art Shop, UNICEF Hall, Together Park, UNICEF Train, and Story Tour Bus. Restaurants provide delicious food and Hotel Jeonggwanru has themed accommodations.
Namiseom or Nami Island (Korean: 남이섬) is a half-moon shaped river island located in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province, South Korea, formed as the land around it was inundated by the rising water of the North Han River as the result of the construction of Cheongpyeong Dam in 1944.
Namiseom is located 3.8 km from Gapyeong County, but belongs to Chuncheon in Gangwon Province. It is 430,000 square meters in area and approximately 4 km in diameter.
Geographically, Namiseom is crescent-shaped (462,809m²) and is located 63 km from Seoul.
Two or three hours are necessary to go around the island, longer if you participate in some activities.
Here are some activities offered on the island:
- the visit of the tomb of General Nami (not really an activity but it is located on the island)
- an amusement park with rides, shooting range, roller-skates
- accommodation options with villas and bungalows directly overlooking the lake
- the UNICEF Hall (place with various exhibitions)
- swimming pool
- go ziplining (38,000 won)
- take the UNICEF train (3,000 won)
- rent bicycles, tandems (bicycle: 4,000 won (30 min) / 7,000 won (1 hr), tandem: 8,000 won (30 min) / 14,000 won (1 hr))
- rent electric carts 5,000 won (20-30 min)
- a boat trip (40,000 won (5 people per boat))
- various restaurants and cafes
The opening hours depend on the ferry schedules:
7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. (30 min interval)
9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (10~20 min interval)
6:00 p.m. – 9:40 p.m. (30 min interval)
To get to Namiseon, you need to take the ferry and pay for a visa! The particularity of Namiseon is not to ask for an entry ticket but to ask for a visa to enter the Republic of Nami (the island has the status of a Republic). Here are the prices:
- Adult: 10 000 wons (reduced price for foreign visitors: 8 000 wons)
- Children and for visitors after 6 p.m. (December to March) or 7 p.m. (April to November): 4,000 won.
This price also includes a return ferry trip.